Saturday, June 11, 2016

Birthday PJs *cute baby warning*

My baby has transformed from little fishy to infant, baby and now toddler! She recently turned 1 year old.  We have loved having a baby this past year.  She has brought so much joy to our family!


To celebrate, I made her this pair of pajamas.  I guess they could work for every day clothes - maybe - but I'm a little pink-phobic so I like to reserve the all-pink outfits for night wear.


I used 2 FREE patterns that I found on Craftsy.com: A Raglan Tee for 18 months to 10 years old by Nap Time Creations and 18 month Toddler Leggings Pattern by Renee Sherwood.



I, of course, made alterations to these patterns...'cause that's what I do.  I wanted the raglan to be more feminine, so I redrew the sleeve seam line and made the sleeve more slender and skinnier.  I dropped the neckline in the front and back.  I used a 1 1/2" strip of ribbing (from a womens' thrift store tee - great place to find ribbing, by the way) instead of a 2" strip.  The neckband is done at 85% of the neckline.  The sleeves ended up being too small - oops! Even if the fit isn't great the outfit is still cute.




I cut the seam allowance on the leggings down to 1/4" because I think it's just too much work and waste to cut off later.  I made a full seat and full gut adjustment and added a little length to the top of the waist bc my baby is in cloth diapers and her fluff butt needs room!  I love, love the fit on the pants!


Kids knit clothes come together so quickly and I love these Art Gallery knits.  The Orni Incandescence print called to me every time I went to the store so I, like a bug to the light zapper, bought a yard and a half.  Gulp! And then it sat in my stash and I had no idea what to do with it because it is so loud.  Pajamas, folks.  It wanted to be made into pajamas, because it's at night that we show our wildest side!

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Scoop Neck T-Shirt with an Invisible Neckband



I'm not really sure what to call the neckband thingy, but I ended up finding Made by Rae's tutorial that explained how to make the neckline I wanted.

This pattern is based off of Craftsy's Sewing with Knits class.  I made a striped knit t-shirt from this pattern a few years ago.  The fabric is a Joann's poly/cotton knit with minimal stretch, only 25-30%.  The fabric is a little see-through, so I lined the front bodice with very thin jersey fabric I bought in the LA Fabric District.  So glad it finally came in handy!  I also used that fabric for the neckband, 85% of the length of the neckline circumference.  The neckline is gapey.  Next time I'll try 80% length on the neckband.


I drafted a new neckline lower, for summer, and left a 1/4" seam allowance.  My neckband was 1" wide and I topstitched 3/8" from the edge.  I think it fits well, and I'm pleased with it.