Over the last couple weeks, I had the opportunity to test the new Arenal Top Pattern by Itch to Stitch. I have fallen in love with this pattern and I'm sure you will, too! Click the link above to purchase your PDF pattern, on sale for $8 until October 19th.
This knit v-neck pattern has a fitted bodice version and a handkerchief hem option, along with sleeve options. I opted to do a 3/4 sleeve with the fitted bodice.
This pattern calls for 100% stretch fabric. It's perfectly fine to use fabric with 50% or 75% stretch, just know you may need to size up 1-2 sizes. I used the fabrics below as follows:
Sleeves: Poly/lycra stripes with about 50% stretch. I sized up 2 sizes to make up for the lack of stretch
Bodice and neckband: Bambo/lycra with about 75-80% stretch. I sized up 1 size to make up for the lack of stretch.
I wish I'd only sized up 1x for the sleeves and did no sizing up for the bodice...maybe my bamboo fabric had more stretch than I thought! That's ok - the issue was easily fixed by taking in the side seams at the bodice and sleeves. I shortened the sleeves and the bodice a bit to fit my petite frame. Next time I will do a narrow shoulder adjustment but I think it looks just fine without.
Today marks the first day I have ever posted about a v-neck shirt I've made...because this is my first attempt, EVER! I have three years' worth of built-up anxiety over v-necks and as it turns out, it was quite easy! The instructions are very easy to follow, but I needed a bit of hand holding, so I found this helpful video:
If you find yourself a little hesitant to sew a v-neck, give it a try! I followed the instructions and my first attempt had only a few puckers (that no one will ever notice...let's be honest, only people like me would ever look closely).
I really loved sewing this easy knit top and I think the depth and shape of the 'V' is just perfect! Thanks for the opportunity to test, Kennis!