Monday, February 15, 2016

It's Loud, Too


I decided to jump on the Grainline Archer bandwagon. Its lack of bust darts makes it perfect for when I transition from nursing to weaning my daughter.

I cut out a size 6. Even though my bust was an inch too big for this size I knew that this pattern had a lot of ease and going up a size would be a big no-no.  I took in 1/2" of width at the shoulder area and I took 1" of length out at the waist area.


I loved using a fabric in my stash for this project.  I bought this Art Gallery voile last summer.  Seeing the blouse that Sunni made gave me the confidence that while this print is *loud*, it looks great in a blouse and is seriously so much fun!  I used an aqua and white gingham as contrast under collar and inside collar stand pieces.

Guess what, guys?! It fits!!!  First time, no adjustments after pattern alterations - I didn't even have to fiddle with the side seams!  It's so happy and cheerful it's like wearing a Hawaiian shirt for floral people, such as myself!


Things I did differently than the pattern:
I made a short-sleeve version with a 3/4" hem.

I did Back View A without the pleat.  I had to remove 1/2" width from either side at the shoulder area of the yoke, anyway, so when I drafted the lower back piece I turned that extra width into a gather at the center back instead of taking it out entirely.  Clear as mud?  Good!

I forgot to do the right front pocket.  I don't think I care, but I have enough fabric in case I change my mind.  The thing is, I matched the first pocket up so perfectly you can't even tell it's there.  I also made my own spacing for the buttons.  I like a button right at my bust to keep everything covered.


See?  It's invisible!

Things I Did Well
The topstitching is super even.  I put a little dot of marker on my presser foot so I could follow it perfectly and got an even 1/16" around my collar. 

I did a pretty good job with the sleeves.  I have a long history of dreading putting in sleeves.  This pattern taught me to sew in the sleeves before I sew the side seams.  That way, you can hide all your naughty mistakes and no one will be the wiser.

Things I'd Do Differently
Um...use contrasting thread, maybe?  I don't typically wear button up shirts because they are constrictive.  The relaxed fit made me revisit the classic button up.  Despite loving the shirt, I'm not loving the way it looks on me in pictures...is it because I came from the era of super form-fitting clothes??  Would taking in the side seams help?

**Special thanks to my in-laws who let me turn their dining room into a sewing workshop and made googly eyes at my baby while I sewed up a storm.  It took about a day from start to finish and it was sewing bliss to have very few distractions.   Hopefully I didn't leave too many pins on the floor.

While I finished up the collar, I had the privilege of teaching my 10 year old niece how to sew.  When she saw what my serger could do she was in complete awe!  By the end of the day, she had made an infinity scarf and a headband out of some vintage fabric her grandma gave her.  She wore both proudly the next day at church!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!