Saturday, November 16, 2013

Vogue 8902 - My Clara Oswald Dress



Scott and I decided to be Doctor Who characters for Halloween.  He chose to be the Eleventh Doctor, and I chose to be one of his companions, Clara Oswald.  Soufle girl (Clara) wears a red dress in her debut on the show, so I whipped up Vogue 8902 in a lovely red double knit.

I've been saving this red double knit for a fall/winter dress and when I saw Vogue 8902 I had to buy it:


It is so comfortable looking!  It also looked like it would be easy to construct, and I was right on both accounts.  I mean, really, when I put this on I feel almost as comfy as I do in a nighty.

I only had the weekend to make this dress so there wasn't time to obsess and over-think the pattern alterations.  I cut out my size - 8 shoulders to 10 rib area to 14 waist and 12 hips - and made the dress 2" shorter in the skirt.  Well, I have news for you...although a double knit is one of the recommended fabrics for this pattern, it is NOT a knit pattern.  I had to take in gobs of fabric on the sides and would have been much better cutting an 8 or 10 out throughout the whole pattern.


The fitting isn't perfect, but I think it looks great for a quickie dress.  I chose not to line it.  I used some jersey to finish off the neck edge.  Yep, a quick fix, but it looks just fine.  I finished the sleeve and skirt edges with a blind hem on the machine.  The neckline is a bit higher than I would like, but it is good for fall.


P.S. - I love red lipstick.  This is Stila lip tint in 'Fiery'.


2 comments:

  1. This dress looks so comfy ~ and you whipped it up so quickly! This pattern is def's a winner ... J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sew..I mean so cute! I love red lipstick too, but I'm not sure it loves me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!