Monday, September 2, 2013

Swimsuit -Kwik Sew 3153


Last February I made up Kwik Sew 3153 in a bold, red, white and blue floral.  Since recovering from shoulder and knee injuries, my body is more muscular and I no longer fit into my old swimsuit.  When I put it on, it was if I was *squeezing* my thighs through the leg holes and the fabric under the arms was strained every time I moved my shoulders.

KS3153 February 2012
I think the wonderful thing about sewing a pattern a second time is that you can easily make changes to it.  It is so much easier to tweak a pattern than to start over completely!  I added fabric to the side seams under the armpits and 3/4" elastic to each of the leg holes.

At first I cut my new suit with larger leg holes, adding width at the side seams.  This did not work at all!  When I put on my suit the larger leg holes didn't stay put on my butt and rode up towards the center, giving me.........a wedgie.  So if you are pained with a wedgie on your suit, it may be that you need to take in the side seams.  After I did this, my suit looked and felt great!  I found that simply adding more elastic to the leg holes gave me enough room to be comfortable.



I chose a pink, blue and brown paisley print from Denver Fabrics.  I repositioned the straps in the back so that they will never slide.

The sewing blogs have been alive with bombshell-style swimsuits this summer.  I was tempted to try this style, but it would have required extensive bust alterations.  I am so small busted it probably would have looked awful no matter what I did.  And if I managed to keep the girls in while wearing it, I still would probably feel really exposed.  So, I stuck with a TNT pattern that has no frills.  It fits and I am pleased.


Have you ever tried a different style and realized it just wasn't for you?  Or realized it looked fabulous?  I feel confident when I wear clothing that flatters my shape and fits great!  I would love to read your comments below.

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous swimsuit!! I love the paisley print as well. Sorry to hear about your shoulder/ knee injuries..

    I was just telling this to a sewing friend yesterday - how I feel better sticking to what styles work for my body shape, regardless of trends.

    On the other hand, it was the first time I tried a trendy item - the peplum dress and was amazed at the way it flattered my shape. I tried a couple of different types of peplum to figure out why one flattered me whereas the other peplum styles made me look matronly.. The neckline and where the peplum ended made such a big difference. I didn't have a clue that peplum could work for me until I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute suit(s). I think you'd look great in the "bombshell" suit as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this suit and the material. Sewing lycra is at best difficult. Your seams are perfect! I am by necessity a creature of habit. I work full-time for an automotive plant and have a moderately successful bridal alterations/ custom formals business. When I find something that looks nice on me it becomes a uniform-lol. I make it often and in many colors. Thanks for sharing your lovely suit. Happy sewing;-)
    Kendra

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!