Saturday, June 15, 2013

My Poor Neglected Blog

It's been a long time since my last post.  Dear Suzie has been to the hospital again:


I took her in because she kept turning off while I was stitching.  I then had to unplug her and turn off the power switch, and on again to get her going again.  It was really annoying, especially when I was using a zig-zag stitch.  Suzie goes back to a default straight stitch every time she gets rebooted.  I took her in to get fixed in March and they couldn't find a problem.  When I took her home, she displayed the exact same symptoms.  I was on vacation the last couple of weeks and so I dropped her off again.

This time they did find the problem.  It was a bad power supply.  Bad power supplies can be caused by a surge in electricity.  This can be prevented by ALWAYS plugging your machine into a surge protector.  I live at almost 6,000 ft. above sea level and up here, the altitude can be very hard on electronics.  I don't know what caused my little Suzie to blitz out, but from now on I will always use a surge protector when I sew.


$180 later, Suzie has a new power supply and a new lease on life!  Yay!  Electronics are expensive.  Booooooooooo!!!

My husband and I have been very busy house hunting these last couple of months.  We are moving cross country in August, to Charleston, South Carolina.  We took a lovely house hunting trip recently and saw every house in our price range within our criteria in two days.  Last weekend, we put an offer in on a lovely home close to base with this kitchen:


The kitchen is enormous for us!  You should see our current set up.  It doesn't even have 1/3 of the counter space you see here.  I am so excited to get to cook alongside my hubbie - a.k.a. I clean while he cooks.  In case you were wondering...I did negotiate for the butcher block in the center of the kitchen.  It's cute, functional, and I really didn't want to shop for another one.  


My in-laws came down for the weekend and after we found our house we took some time to see the sites, including Sullivan's Island...


...and Magnolia Plantation.  Here is my mother-in-law and my husband looking at some beautiful trees, covered in moss.  Apparently, the moss is invasive because it crowds out the leaves, but I love how romantic it looks hanging in the breeze.

I promise, I have some great projects started for the summer and I can't wait to share them with you!  I've learned some more tricks on sewing with knits and also have a linen dress and a bridesmaid's dress that need whipping up.  Also, I bought a walking foot recently, and once I find out how to use it I will tell you all about it.

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Moving always provides tons of "get it over with" moments, so good luck with that.

    After a similar length of time since my last blog post, I also have to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finding a house. I live in the Charleston area and there are tons of fantastic things to see and do. Don't bring the Spanish moss into your house unless you soak it in bleach first, it is covered in all kinds of icky stuff. Moving is always a hassle, but every time I moved I ended up loving the new place. Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I also live in Charleston, and I was about to say the exact same thing as Pam above! Don't touch the spanish moss!! It's full of tiny bugs. And moving during summer is tough, it gets sooo hot here! hope you have help moving and lots of cold water bottles =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I could kinda tell that the moss is a nice home for all kinds of bugs. We will be letting the Navy move our things so it should be the smoothest part of moving across country. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!