Thursday, January 31, 2013

See & Sew / Butterick 5741



 I finished my tote bag today.  Now that it's done, I can finally see the result of using the stiff interfacing.  As I said before, I had no idea that bag making would be so difficult.  I follow LiEr's blog, Ikat Bag, and I have loved reading her recent posts on making bags.  Her bags are so beautifully crafted, well-made and functional.  I am in awe of her bag-making skills.

 
 Here is what the bag looks like on:


Huge!  It reminds me of all of the large bags that Alyson Hannigan carried to hide her pregnancy during the filming How I Met Your Mother.


I like it.  It's big enough to hold a large sewing project or smuggle a dog on an airplane.  Although, I don't have a dog, so I won't be attempting the latter.  Next time I make a bag with a print, I will pay closer attention to how the pattern on the pockets matches up with the body of the bag.  The pattern got repeated, but in a less than ideal way.


I liked this pattern, the fabric, and my stiff interfacing choice.  When it was time to insert the lining into the bag, I couldn't find the instructions.  Luckily, I am psychic and I figured it out.

I'm not planning on needing another enormous bag, but I would still recommend this pattern to anyone who wants a large tote.  The design was more stylish than any of the other patterns I saw at the fabric store.  I would give one piece of advice when topstitching around the handles.  Because of the thickness of the fabric, it was more difficult than normal to topstitch around a curve.  I found it was helpful to change my Bernina's needle position to DOWN so that when I took my foot off the pedal, it stayed down in the fabric.  This made it easier to reposition my hands around the fabric and the topstitching was more even.

5 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I love the fabric you chose. New follower here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,
    I can't understand why this came out so large when the pattern says it's 12 1/2" W x 12 1/2" L x 9" D. Did you double something? I do love the fabric you chose tho!
    ~Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...that's a good question. I cut out the fabric according to the paper pattern, so I don't think I could have doubled the bag size. Maybe the pattern company made a mistake? I was REALLY surprised how large it turned out.

      Delete
  3. I want to know how to sew the bottom to the inside

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!