Thursday, September 27, 2012

Vogue 8379 - Knit Wrap Dress #2


This is my second time making this dress.  My first review is here.  For my second dress, I ordered a purple ITY knit print from Gorgeous Fabrics.  It was $12/yd.  I didn't mind paying a little more than usual because I am SO picky with prints.  It's easy to find great prints for plus size ladies but there are very few florals on a smaller scale, like this one.

This knit was heavier and not quite as stretchy as my first attempt so I changed the pattern a bit.  I added 1/4" to the torso which was good anyway because the original pattern is quite short-waisted.  I also took a little more fullness out of the skirt.  I left the skirt long with the intention of trimming it off to be hemmed at my knees.  It is always better to start off with a skirt that is too long than to end up with not enough length.  In my previous post on this pattern, I also explain how I made a SBA to the pattern.


When I first constructed the bodice and put it on, I was horrified.  The edge of my fabric ended an inch above my waist and that wasn't even taking the seam allowance into consideration!.  This is because my fabric wasn't very stretchy.  I was so worried I'd have to cut a new bodice out.  However, when I sewed the skirt to the bodice, the weight of it pulled the waist seam down somewhat.  Whew!! That was a relief! It's still a 1/2" above my waistline but I think it looks okay.

I used a serger to sew all of the seams.  I used a twin needle to finish the neckline and sleeve hems.  This fabric was very forgiving and didn't bubble in weird places or stretch while I was stitching the hem.  If you're not used to working with knits, I'd recommend using a medium weight ITY knit like this one for this pattern.  I cut 2 1/2" off the skirt bottom edge before hemming with a twin needle.



I trimmed a little off the sleeve edge before hemming.  Once I hemmed it, I realized it was a little to long, which to me looks frumpy.  I ruched the sleeves to bring the hem up and because it adds a little spice to this otherwise basic design.  You can learn how to make ruched sleeves here with my tutorial.  This was simple and quick and a winner on the first try.



Overall I love the fabric and the fit --- I mean, this dress won't even wrinkle!  It's definitely going with me on my trip next week.  I'd give the pattern an 8/10 (with the few adjustments mentioned here and in my last attempt it's a 9).  I think I want to branch out and try other knit dress patterns but I wouldn't mind coming back to it in a few years for a third run.  Also, to all you moms to be out there, this dress would be great for access for breastfeeding.  It's so comfortable, it's literally like wearing a robe. Just don't wear it to the chiropractor like I did yesterday.  It's kind of hard to flip around an adjustment table in a wrap dress!

I am announcing the winner of my giveaway on Saturday.  If you haven't entered yet, click here to enter to win a cute retro apron.  See you Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! I need more easy dresses like that to throw on and wear to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely knit dress and the ruched sleeve is a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!