Thursday, August 16, 2012

Playing Matchmaker

Sometimes when I have long pauses in between posts, it is because I'm having trouble matchmaking.  Sometimes I find the pattern for a project first and wait months or years before I find the perfect fabric to match.  What irks me the most is when I find a great fabric and can't decide on a pattern for it.  Whenever I go through my fabric stash it reminds me that this particular fabric is longing to be made up into something beautiful and I feel like I have let it down.  My sewing friend, Crystal, likes to remind me that 'fabric doesn't mold,' but I still want to see happy ending as soon as possible.

Well, today was a great day for matchmaking!  I have been waiting and waiting for patterns to go on sale for 99 cents so I could match up 3 fabrics to their prospective patterns.

The first and longest to wait is this floral chiffon I got over a year ago at Denver Fabrics for under $4/yd.  I have paired it up with McCall's 6503 and will be making a combination of views with sleeves, front flounce, and pleated skirt.  I found an easy breezy poly in the value section to underline it with.  Over the past year, I've found review after review of people who had a horrible time with chiffon.  However, I'm confident that with a little starch (or gelatin) I can "Make it work!"


 The second coupling is Simplicity 2648 with this poly lace I found in D.C. last month.  I eyed a Vogue pattern for months but after being unsuccessful in finding it at the store twice, I have chosen Simplicity 2648.  I don't feel I have compromised.  This 'Amazing Fit' pattern should make it really easy to adjust the bust and make minor adjustments around my bottom half, if needed.  This is the first form-fitting dress pattern I will attempt.  I plan to underline the lace with a gold satin.


And last, but not least is a violet satin with a fun lace pattern printed on it.  I need a lightweight robe for warmer temperatures.  I love the raglan sleeves on this pattern, Simplicity 3696.  I got the idea for this project when I browsed through the patterns at the thrift store and found an OOP pattern I liked.  When I opened the envelope at home, I realized the pattern was missing half of one of the pattern pieces I needed.  Shoot!  Don't buy thrift store patterns until you check the envelope!  On closer inspection, S3696 is a stretch knits only pattern, so I will have to use my OOP pattern.  Stay tuned for a review!



Do you have a trick to picking out patterns?  I find I am horrible at decision making if I look through the pattern books at the store.  I find it much easier to browse through pattern catalogs online.  It is easier for me not to be in a hurry, and to focus on the actual pattern lines of the design.  It is far to easy to get caught up in the fabric choice on the pattern envelope and fall in love with a pattern because of the print shown in the design.  I choose several similar patterns I like for the same project, then go to the store when they are on sale and head to the filing cabinets.  If a particular pattern is not in stock, I move my way down my list until I find one in my size.  It works for me almost every time! 

I'm off to make a satin robe.  Have a great weekend!


4 comments:

  1. Wish you were closer so you could help me with sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that Simplicity 3696 pattern. The only pieces that require the stretch knit is the t-shirt and nightgown patterns. The pants and the robe can be made from a woven! Although I'm convinced that you could make the nightgown from woven too, so long as you go up a size. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for noticing that, Heather. I realized it was for knit as I sat down late that night to read the back of the pattern envelope. Shoot! I was afraid that even if I bumped the pattern up a size, it would still look weird in satin. I opted to draft collar pattern pieces for the original OOP pattern, which is for wovens.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!