Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Review: OOP Butterick 5017 Wrap Robe


Happy Thursday!  Here is my pattern review of Butterick 5017.  As I mentioned before, I found this pattern at the thrift store.  It was produced in 1997.  The envelope was missing the neck pattern piece, so I drafted a new one so I could use this pattern.  I decided to make a lightweight satin robe to use in warmer weather.  I made the knee-length version and shortened the sleeves.  I would have used a new pattern but I didn't find anything like it in the store.




Pattern Description:
Oversized, Straight, Wrap Robe

Pattern Sizing:
XS-S-M.  I cut an XS.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, exactly.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, but I didn't use them much.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
It was easy to follow and the style was easy to construct.

Fabric Used:
Black Lace Printed on Lightweight Purple Satin, 100% Polyester, Hancock Fabrics



Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: 
I shortened the sleeves to 3/4 and omitted the sleeve facing.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? 
 Yes, it was an easy pattern and style to construct.  The only problem I had was with the satin.  This was the first time I'd sewn with such a lightweight satin.  Satin is not forgiving!  I had to hold the satin straight in front and in back of the presser foot while sewing so the machine wouldn't bunch it up into a gathered mess.

Conclusion:
Easy to sew, great basic robe pattern with clear instructions.  

The front facing is a little bunchy near the hem.  I swear, I tried really hard to prevent that from happening.  On the upside, this robe is soooo super comfortable! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Up next: cute matching slippers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I just started sewing again and wanted to make a robe and found a material w/ satin on one side/flannel on the other. I hope this will alleviate the slipperiness of the satin. I heard you can put tissue paper stretchy fabrics to help stabilize them while you sew, but I tried it w/ a very stretchy knit and it was a mess.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!