Friday, May 18, 2012

Shoulder Bag from The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook

So a while back I bought The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook, which is chalked full of neat projects and sweet sewing inspiration.  You can read my book review of it here.  I decided to make the bag with some remnants I had in my stash.  I know, way to sew into my mountain of fabric, right?


Here is a picture of the original bag, designed by BurdaStyle’s Creative Director Alison:


The book contains the instructions for this project.  The pattern pieces are located inside the back flap, so all I had to do was re-trace them.  

I used a medium-weight denim for the outside and a red and white cotton stripe for the lining.  The pattern  instructions are pretty straight forward.  I had a little trouble putting in the elastic, but that could have been remedied if I had read the instructions more closely. 


 I opted not to use two thin shoulder straps.  Instead I drafted a strap 1 1/4 inches wide and attached it at the D-rings.



It turned out pretty well.  It's nice to make accessories that I don't have to fit to my body.  No fit alterations for this bag, baby!  I'd highly recommend this pattern.  If you have the book, or want to get it, you should check out the variations of this pattern on pages 178-195 and let your creativity run wild!                    



1 comment:

  1. It's cute! I'm making my first bag ever from this pattern and want to check out others to see what to expect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!