I finished my new dress in time to wear it to church on Easter Sunday! I've never had an Easter dress, so it was an extra treat.
As I mentioned before, this dress is inspired by a dress I found in the BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook. I decided to take an existing pattern, Butterick 5315, and change it up a little. Using my pattern drafting book and my existing bodice, I converted the collar to a bodice with a shawl collar. Last time I made this pattern, I used skirt View A. This time, I used View C, a circle skirt.
I also re-drafted the fold out of the back bodice piece. I used the regular sleeve, not the gathered sleeve. I used a white and yellow Sew into Spring Seersucker from Joann's. When I bought the fabric, I didn't realize it was seersucker. I know what you're thinking...duh, Steph! I haven't used seersucker in years. Well, I washed it and it came out of the dryer all wavy and I realized my mistake. I was a little disappointed at first and wondered how it would turn out. Then, I read somewhere that seersucker clothing doesn't wrinkle (They pre-wrinkled it already!) so it's really nice for traveling. I used a white poplin to line the front bodice (which flips out to show the shawl collar) and a thin off-white cotton for the lining.
For the lining, I ironed my darts and seams the opposite way to reduce bulk.
I gotta say, the best thing about using a pattern again is not having to fit it too much the second go-around.
Finishing the lining edge with my serger made it a breeze.
I used cream-colored buttons. I usually like to keep my buttons simple.
This will be a great dress for blistering heat. I know you can't tell, but the stripes on the side seams of the skirt match up perfectly. FIRST. TIME. EVER.
I ended the shawl collar just above the original button placement and widened the jewel neckline. This dress cost about $35 to make...a little more than I usually spend but that's because it is lined. I love the silhouette and the seersucker! Success!
(Mr. PS and me on Easter)