Monday, April 9, 2012

Seersucker Shirtdress - Butterick 5315

I finished my new dress in time to wear it to church on Easter Sunday!  I've never had an Easter dress, so it was an extra treat.  



As I mentioned before, this dress is inspired by a dress I found in the BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook.  I decided to take an existing pattern, Butterick 5315, and change it up a little.  Using my pattern drafting book and my existing bodice, I converted the collar to a bodice with a shawl collar.  Last time I made this pattern, I used skirt View A.  This time, I used View C, a circle skirt.


I also re-drafted the fold out of the back bodice piece.  I used the regular sleeve, not the gathered sleeve.  I used a white and yellow Sew into Spring Seersucker from Joann's.  When I bought the fabric, I didn't realize it was seersucker.  I know what you're thinking...duh, Steph!  I haven't used seersucker in years.  Well, I washed it and it came out of the dryer all wavy and I realized my mistake.  I was a little disappointed at first and wondered how it would turn out.  Then, I read somewhere that seersucker clothing doesn't wrinkle (They pre-wrinkled it already!) so it's really nice for traveling.  I used a white poplin to line the front bodice (which flips out to show the shawl collar) and a thin off-white cotton for the lining.



 For the lining, I ironed my darts and seams the opposite way to reduce bulk.


I gotta say, the best thing about using a pattern again is not having to fit it too much the second go-around.


Finishing the lining edge with my serger made it a breeze.  


I used cream-colored buttons.  I usually like to keep my buttons simple.


This will be a great dress for blistering heat.  I know you can't tell, but the stripes on the side seams of the skirt match up perfectly.  FIRST.  TIME.  EVER.


I ended the shawl collar just above the original button placement and widened the jewel neckline.  This dress cost about $35 to make...a little more than I usually spend but that's because it is lined.  I love the silhouette and the seersucker!  Success!

(Mr. PS and me on Easter)

3 comments:

  1. I love seersucker. It is a wonderful fabric for hot summers. It's too bad you had to line it, because that will make it hotter, but it would obviously be very sheer without a lining. Cute dress! I had a similar pattern that I made two dresses out of many years ago. I wore it until it went out of style:)
    Linda Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful and fits perfectly. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!