Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How to Sew a Yoga Strap

Hello, readers!  Today I'm going to show you....


It is super easy and only takes about 5 minutes.
First, you will need to go to the store and buy 2 yards of cotton webbing, 1 1/2 inches wide.  Webbing is commonly used for bag straps and belts.  You may want to tape the ends, as they will fray a bit.  Also pick up a strap adjuster, metal or plastic.  (Two D-rings would also work just fine.)  You will need thread and a sewing machine for the next steps.


 Finish one of the edges with a zig-zag stitch set to the widest zig-zag possible and a stitch length of 0.5.  Make sure you backstitch well on the ends.


Pull the other end through the strap adjuster.  I found this one on an old shoulder bag.  (If you had two D-rings, you'd pull the strap through both of them at the same time.)


 Loop the end back and secure it about 3/4" from the metal with a zig-zag stitch.  I also reinforced with a straight line of stitching just inside my zig-zag.  


 The loop should look like the picture, above.


Now, take the free zig-zagged end of the strap and pull it through the strap adjuster.



Your yoga strap is all ready to go!  I actually don't do yoga on a regular basis, but I'm going to use this baby to stretch out my hamstring, V-Mo and IT band leg muscles.  I had been using a robe tie, so this is a nice step up and only cost me $5 for the webbing.  Yay!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I awarded you the Liebster Blog Award. Check out my latest post to read all about it.

    http://shanni77.blogspot.com/2012/03/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this tutorial, this is exactly what I was looking for. I made mine using the D-rings and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!