Monday, March 19, 2012

Garden and Summer Dress Plans

Sorry for my silence last week.  I had a lovely Spring Break with my husband planning our garden.  We've been collecting seed packets, starting seeds indoors and preparing the ground outside for cool weather crops.  This is the first year we've really had a garden and our new grow light has enabled us to start everything from seed.  


Exciting, huh?  Some of our tomatoes were even big enough to transplant last night!  Maybe we started them a bit too early.  Oh well.  We have to deal with the deer tramping about our garden so Scott fixed the makeshift fence around the raised beds and is also trying to ward off any four-legged creatures with super concentrated Predator Pee!  Anyone with a nose will testify to its horrible stench, thus its effectiveness!

As for my current sewing adventures....

I am making a yellow summer shirt dress out of a pretty seersucker I found at the local fabric store.  I love cotton dresses for spring and summer because they are soft and comfortable.  This is the seersucker I'll be using...

Sew into Spring Seersucker

...using Butterick 5315


I made View A last summer and liked the pattern so much I'm going to give it another go, with a twist.  This time, I'll be using the shortened flared skirt from View B and will draft my own shawl collar to go along with the bodice.  I saw a picture of a shawl collar shirt dress in my new book, The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook and fell in love!  This book is chalked full of inspiration!


I'll be using Principles of Flat Pattern Design by Nora M. MacDonald to draft the collar.  It's like the bible of pattern design.  I learned everything I know about drafting from this book!

Other sewing plans over the last few weeks have included finding and purchasing more swimsuit fabric for my two-piece outfit.  I ordered some swatches from Spandex World and decided on
a black nylon/spandex with white polka dots for the top and black milliskin matte for the shorts.

I'll let you know when it comes to my door and I get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!