Monday, February 6, 2012

Swimsuit Sew-Along: Supplies and Resources

Welcome back to the Swimsuit Sew-Along!  This week I got my patterns and fabric.

For my one-piece suit....
Kwik Sew 3153 - Swimsuit with a shelf-bra lining with elastic, opening in back with a hook closure.


Fabric:
It's always a good idea to do a muslin first....
Muslin: Floral Poly Spandex from Denver Fabrics
Finished suit: Red Matte Milliskin, Poly Spandex from Spandex House The muslin turned out great! A second go-around is not needed.

Notions:    3/8" Cotton Swimwear Elastic from Joann's Fabrics, 1/2" Plush Elastic from Sew Sassy Fabrics, 3/4" Swimwear Hook from Joann's

For my tankini suit...
McCall's 3566  - Two-piece swimsuit: I will use the tankini and boy shorts pattern...and I just realized there are separate pieces for A, B and C cups.  Score!



Fabric:   Blue Matte Milliskin, Poly Spandex from Spandex House The fabric arrived and I hate the color....still looking for a replacement.  Next time I will order a swatch first!
Notions:    3/8" Cotton Swimwear Elastic from Joann's Fabrics, 1/2" Plush Elastic from Sew Sassy Fabrics


Swimsuit Sewing Resources - I will keep adding to this.

Poly/Spandex Fabric and Lining:
Girl Charlee Fabrics  Flirty and fun swimwear prints! (added 6/25/13)
Spandex House
Spandex World
Fashion Fabrics Club
Sew Sassy Fabrics


Books about Swimsuit Sewing:
Singer Sewing with Knits - a little outdated (1992) but still has some good info. and is $4 on Amazon.

Blog Posts about Sewing Swimsuits:
Assorted Notions
Everyday Chaos
Featherty Sews 
Vively Online
Creative Chicks on how to keep the straps from falling off

Other Web Resources:
Dive Into Swimsuits Podcast

3 comments:

  1. Looking good Stephanie! I really like that Kwik Sew pattern. I may have to order it. I thought I would just use the KS book and draft my own pattern but why reinvent the wheel? I have a free BurdaStyle suit that I like the front of but want to change that back to like this KS. I may never get started because I keep changing my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love this Kwik Sew pattern. I was so worried that it wouldn't fit, but so far the pattern is right on the money as far as measurements go. I was thinking of drafting my own pattern, too, but I think the extra money spent on this Kwik Sew pattern was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi it's Nicole of The Girl Charlee Team. Thanks for the mention and the link back!!

    http://www.girlcharlee.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!