Monday, January 23, 2012

How to Sew a Rolled Hem


If you've ever pulled this foot out of your sewing machine accessories pouch and felt intimidated or thought 'what the heck is this thing?' you're not alone.  A few months ago I finally overcame my fear of the rolled hemmer foot and conquered!  (This specialty foot and I are like best friends now!)

The rolled hemmer foot folds and stitches a narrow hem like the one below:

 

 It accomplishes all of this better and more accurately than your could ever do on your own.  You can use it to finish the edges of tablecloths, blouses, linings and scarves.


I used the rolled hemmer foot to finish the edge of the apron and blouse, above.  To get started, you will need the rolled hemmer foot that goes with your machine.  As you can see, mine is foot #69.  If you're unsure if your machine has a rolled hemmer foot, or where to find it, call a store that sells them or check the internet first.

How to make a rolled hem:


Identify the edge that you want finished and fold it over about 1/4".


Fold the fabric over again.  Now, using your seam ripper, guide your fabric into the scroll.


Begin sewing.  The scroll controls the width of the rolled hem so it is even throughout.  Stitch along, carefully guiding the fabric into the scroll, folding it as you feed it into the foot.

When you are done, you will have a beautifully crafted rolled hem on your garment so nice that your friends will think you bought it.  No really, it is that awesome!



Have fun and good luck!

If you need additional help, there are some very informative YouTube videos on the rolled hemmer foot. 


11 comments:

  1. What a valuable tip! I do have that foot and have wondered "what the heck am I supposed to do with this?!". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU I've never been able to get mine to start properly..love the seam ripper tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pinning this. I haven't gotten around on ordering my rolled hemmer foot, but as soon as I have one, I 'll come back and look at your how-to. Thanks so much.
    Greetings from Germany
    Catrin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Is there any easy way or tips to tackle the corners in a rolled hem? or is that something just not to bother with?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial ..... you make it look so easy. I haven't tried this for years so I must give a whirl today. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crafty Acorn - it's possible to do curves with this presser foot. For corners, you'll have to end on one side of the corner, backstitch, cut your threads and start stitching from the other side of the corner. Claire OKC explains in this video how to get going if the fabric comes out of the scroll--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH6Vq7WEZTk. She starts out with the fabric folded, starts stitching, and then pops it into the scroll. This may be a better method for you when dealing with corners because it's nearly impossible to move an already hemmed edge through the scroll. I hope that makes sense. Feel free to email me if it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pinning this...have a couple of projects that it would be perfect for and the tips are great...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always thought that was a piping foot! I could have been using this all along...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thanks for showing me how to use it. My book that came with my machine just list it not how to use it like everyone just knows. I can now use it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to have found your blog! So that's what it is for lol - thank you! I will be trying this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. so I popped my rolled hem foot onto my machine, so excited to try! And wouldn't you know it: mine doesn't come out evenly. It's all crazy and wonky (just like me. LOL) I guess it takes practice? Thanks for the tips, love them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!