Monday, January 9, 2012

Edelweiss Skirt ~ Self-Drafted Pattern


When I found this fabric at Hancock Fabrics, I knew I had to make it into a skirt.  I love the print, especially the edge design, the reds and violets, and the paisleys.  I think the pattern was pretty much made for me and I love the way this challis fabric feels in my hand.  The fabric was $5/yd originally, and it was Veteran's Day so I got an extra 20% off thanks to my Navy husband...SCORE!! 

I wanted a pleated dirndl skirt with a narrow waistband.  I didn't have a pattern, so I drafted one.  Dirndl skirts are really easy to draft because the body of the skirt is essentially a big rectangle....more on this later.  


I also included an inseam pocket on the left side and an invisible zipper on the right side with a button closure.  The buttons were thrifted from my husband's old Hawaiian shirt.


 Most side zippers are on the left side of a skirt, but since I am left-handed, I prefer them to be on the right. 

Typically, when cutting out any piece of clothing, you want the lengthwise grain of the fabric to hang vertically.  This fabric had a design on one of the edges of the selvage, so I had to butt the bottom edge of the pattern against the edge of the selvage.



  I finished the edge of the skirt with some mini ric-rac and topstitching.  LOVE this look!!


No, my knees aren't really that white....yeah, that would be creepy.  

Stay tuned for an upcoming tutorial on this dirndl skirt!  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I love this skirt!! That fabric is perfect for the style. You look adorable in it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!