Monday, January 30, 2012

DIY Fabric Weights

Some fabrics can't be pinned, so cutting out can be a disaster unless you have some nifty pattern weights.  This can include some knits, sheer fabrics, and leather.  Joann's sells a package of 4 pattern weights for $11.99.  For that price, I could buy fabric for another project or put it towards some pinking shears (if only I could find left-handed ones!!).


I set out to make my own for less than $3 each.  Pinterest had great ideas pinned from other sewers, so the tutorial below is not my idea, but it's a good one!

I bought the heaviest washers I could find at my local hardware store.  I needed to stack the wide ones 3 washers high for each weight, so at $0.35 each they were a bargain.  The smaller washers were $1.25 and I didn't have to stack them.  The washers, total came to around $9.



I used a glue gun to stack the washers.  I had to be really quick about sticking them together because the cool metal makes the glue dry crazy fast!

I've seen these wrapped in ribbon, but I found an even thriftier idea of using fabric scraps to cover them.  I ripped a remnant of a failed skirt project (Uh...a fitted skirt in this color and this type of fabric? What was I thinking?!!!  I discovered my blunder just after the side seams were sewn.) into strips across the crosswise grain and wrapped the washers in them.
I secured the ends with glue.


And here are my wonderful DIY pattern weights!  They only took me an hour to make.  These are soon to be my cutting out buddies!  I hope they will keep pinning to a minimum because no matter how hard I try to clean up they hide in the carpet!  I feel bad every time Mr. A steps on
a pin in the carpet.  This happens a lot.

8 comments:

  1. How clever...I'm going to have to make some myself! You have a wonderful blog...I'm your newest follower!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart smart smart!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has taught me to warm items (with a blow dryer) before hot gluing them. It helps the hot glue work better. Maybe it would work with this project. Love the idea and I will be trying it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea! I always wanted these kind of weights but didn't want to spend money on them. Am definitely going to try these. Can you tell me what is the diameter of the bigger washers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome idea! I always wanted these kind of weights but didn't want to spend money on them. Am definitely going to try these. Can you tell me what is the diameter of the bigger washers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome idea! I always wanted these kind of weights but didn't want to spend money on them. Am definitely going to try these. Can you tell me what is the diameter of the bigger washers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an clever & awesome idea and I can hardly wait to make some! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!