Friday, December 2, 2011

Simplicity 2365 ~ Floral Tunic

I finally finished my floral tunic in Anna Maria Horner's 'Coloring Garden Dusk' voile print.  I am so glad that it is finished!  Despite some frustration with fitting issues, I think it turned out really well.  

I purchased the voile from Modern Fabric Studio a couple of months back after I fell in love with the print.  I love the blues, pinks and purples.  I'd do my mom proud.  She'll be so jealous when she sees this floral.  This was my first time using voile.  I like how thin it is for summer garments but I don't think it's sturdy enough for kids' wear.  

Note to petite gals: When looking for printed fabric, try to find prints that are small-scaled.  Bigger prints just won't look proportionate and can make you look smaller.  I searched a long time to find a small print I liked but it was totally worth it!








I used Simplicity 2365 with quite a few alterations.  I shortened view 'B' because, let's face it: a petite gal doesn't need a drowningly long tunic.  It stops a little above my hips.  I took out a lot of bulk in the side seams below the bust after reading that reviewers on patternreview.com found the abdomen area to be way too roomy.   To give the waist area some definition, I added tie-backs 1 1/4" wide and 28" long, attaching them at the bust seam near the waist.  I hope that isn't too hard to see that with the print.  I made sure to reinforce the ties 1/4" outside the seam line toward the seam allowance to give it some extra stability.  Because I took so much out of the sides, I added a side zipper, invisible, of course, which stops a few inches below the armhole seam.  It makes the blouse really easy to take on and off.

Many reviewers also mentioned that the sleeves were a little too poofy.  I took out 1/2" fullness at the top of the sleeve and opted for a bias tape band on the edge of the sleeve.  It's much more comfortable than a thick band.

I made a small bust adjustment by taking out fullness between the apex of the bust and center front which ended up being a BIG mistake.  I explain that in this post.  This caused another problem: a tight-fitting neckline.  Since I had to cut the neckline down to fix the problem, I couldn't use the mandarin collar pattern piece.  Instead, I used some cotton lace, and bias tape on the wrong side, to finish the neckline.

I'm not sure if I'd make this pattern again.  If I do, I'd make the small bust adjustment the proper way and then use the mandarin collar.  Oh, wait...just kidding, because I can't find the collar piece in my pattern envelope!

Anyway, I won't complain more because it really did turn out nicely and now I have a blouse that can be layered for winter and will be very cool for summer.  I absolutely love the pin tucks.  It's also really nice to have a woven blouse that fits!  Ready-to-wear blouses typically allow for way too much room in the bust and then I end up looking like a 5th grader.  I know I'm smarter than a fifth grader so why should I look like one?

5 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I love it and you really did a great job. My niece is so petite they give her the kiddie cups at restaurants...I'm going to direct her to your site! Thanks for linking up to Latest and Greatest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great :) And I love the fabric colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shirt looks amazing on you! I love the fabric and cut of it. And I'm jealous of your sewing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shirt turned out so cute.....and even cuter on (which is what we all hope for). Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments, ladies. It really does mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!