Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tutorial: How to Patch Holey Pants

My nephew loves his 'new' hand-me-down Iron Man pajamas.  He even has the moves to prove it.  He didn't, however, like the holes in the knees, so I took the bottoms home to fix.  I'll show you how to do it.  It is super easy.



Yep, those knees are long gone.  If I was a little boy and had holey pajamas I would probably get caught on those holes while getting dressed.


Oh, look!  It's a New Moon shirt given to my hubbie on a date a few years back to see the aforementioned movie, which he detests.  So of course he doesn't wear this...but I didn't throw it away because I knew I'd have a use for it soon.


I cut the sleeve off, then cut along the underarm seam to open the sleeve flat.  I cut out two rectangles big enough to cover the holes (and a bit extra).  


I cut out lightweight iron-on interfacing just a trite smaller than my patches and ironed it on the wrong side of my patches with high heat and steam.


I pinned the patches on those terrible looking knees.  Then, I headed to the sewing machine and zig-zagged all the way around the edges, making sure to backstitch.  Knit fabric can bubble when sewn on the machine.  To minimize this, I tried to stay on the edge of the black fabric and not on the pants.  The interfacing on the patches stabilizes the stitching.


Ta-da!  All done.  Wasn't that easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!