Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween 2011

So, a while back I talked about how excited I was about an upcoming Halloween sewing project.  I haven't yet revealed what it is I made........because I didn't finish it yet.  Really, I have been wanting to ALL MONTH but I was literally sick like every week in October (the flu, a cold, then another shoulder injury flare-up). 

I didn't have a pattern for my mermaid costume, but I didn't think it would be too hard to construct a sequiny knit skirt with a green flounce (the fin).  Ha ha, wrong. Apparently, sickness has a profound effect on my creativity.  Well, let's be honest: I always do better with a pattern.  Maybe it's the perfectionist in me that needs to know how it's going to look before I set out.  Maybe I don't have the patience to experiment, or the extra fabric in case I mess up.  My other problem was I didn't want to go as a strapless mermaid (or a mermaid with conk shells).  It was really difficult thinking of a way I could cover my shoulders and still look like a mermaid.

Long story short...FAIL, as my husband would say, but not about my work...it's just a saying.  He probably got it from the fail blog, which you should check out.  It's funny.  Anyway, because I was running short on time, strength and creativity, I put on a costume I made a couple Halloweens ago.  I still can't find a pair of wings I like, so I made a new accessory to go along with it.  It's a flower headband, made with floral odds and ends connected to a ribbon.


So, here we are - Captain Hammer and the Fairy Princess


I used McCall 5732 for the fairy costume.  It's nice because the pattern has sizes for both misses and girls.

P.S. If you don't know who Captain Hammer is, you should watch Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.  It's a 40 minute musical comedy featuring Nathan Fillion (from Castle) as Captain Hammer who is the hero but is also kind of a tool.  Ha ha...literally.  If you're a little put off by the word 'musical', just remember that it won an Emmy.

We had a nice Halloween.  Since my shoulder was hurt again, I couldn't carve pumpkins so Scott worked over all three into nice jack-o-lanterns while I watched.  We spent the evening with family and even got to take our 2 year-old nephew out trick-or-treating.  He was the cutest Spiderman ever.  We had to prompt him at every door what to say.  Cute kiddo was more interested in the cool pumpkins everyone had and he wanted to say 'hi' to all of the doggies we saw along the way.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!