Friday, October 21, 2011

Simplicity 2609: Tiered Skirt


This skirt is easy to whip up and great for beginners. The elastic waistband makes it super easy to fit and very comfortable. I found this purple cotton at Denver Fabrics in the clearance section and paid $2 a yard for it. I made view 'B' with no alterations. Yeah!! Everything about this pattern was easy, the only thing I didn't like was how time-consuming it was to get the gathers placed and pinned evenly before stitching together. It's time to learn how to use my new gathering foot!


At first, when I put this together, I was afraid that the stiff fabric would make the garment too 'child-like' but it seems to have relaxed after a few washes. I didn't have white thread at the time, so I used light pink thread to topstitch between the tiers. The the thread is so light against the bright purple fabric, it looks white. I'm pleased with the outcome and plan on making another skirt like it in the future.


My only advice is to think about the look you are going for before choosing your fabric. If you want the skirt to be flowy and less volume, choose fabric that drapes well like gauze, chiffon, or even a lightweight jersey knit. If you want the skirt to have more volume and have a stiffer look, choose fabric that holds its shape better like seersucker, linen, or corduroy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!