Saturday, October 22, 2011

Oh No She Didn't by Clinton Kelly

I picked up this book at the library for a bit of light reading. If you didn't know, Clinton is one of the stars of 'What Not to Wear' on TLC. He gives great fashion advice. The book is full of hilarious pictures of style mistakes women make and commentary of how dressing a certain way sends messages to others. Being in the fashion industry, Clinton has hundreds of pet peeves and I think he used this book as a way of venting to the world his frustrations when people don't know how, or don't choose to look their best.


Some of these pet peeves include reinforced toe nylons with open-toe shoes, mom jeans, wearing pajamas in public, too much cleavage at work, polar fleece jackets, dated hair and Christmas sweaters. There is a lot of humor in his commentary and I found myself laughing my way through the book.

I think the points he makes are totally valid, but he chooses to use really strong language, at times, to get his point across. Sometimes it is not funny, it's offensive. I see women who already avoid these mistakes enjoying reading this book. I see women who make these mistakes being offended by his strong language, and therefore choosing not to make changes. It's good to be blunt with people. Sometimes it is the only way they will change. But I think if Clinton toned down his emotional outbursts he would reach more of the audience he is hoping to.

If you'd like to purchase this book, you can find it here. Take a look and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!