Monday, October 3, 2011

Aprons: Simplicity 3752

half apron in calico print

halter apron in batik print

Here are my last two aprons using Simplicity 3752, misses' aprons pattern. I made four of view 'C' (the half aprons) for my wedding reception in a cream and red calico print with red bias tape and red piping accenting. I didn't like the flounce (the bottom portion) on the apron. I think it was the wrong choice for a lightweight cotton fabric because the stiffness made it stick out really far. So, I scrapped it and made a panel the same height as the flounce was, and 1 1/2 times the width of the apron. I gathered the panel to make the new bottom portion of the aprons. I liked this look much better. I opted not to do the pockets. This is probably the easiest apron I've ever made. The girls we asked to serve the cheesecake looked cute and did a great job serving. The halter top apron, view 'A', was a little trickier, but luckily it's my second attempt at this pattern. The pattern calls for piping right under the bust seam. That was difficult, especially paired with matching an inside corner with an outside corner. The instructions didn't explain that you have to clip the corner in order to get it to fit around the outside corner, which is crazy because you have to do it four times! The second time I made this apron (the pink one, above) I didn't use piping and it lays a lot flatter.
I finished the side panel seams with french seams and the side edges with my first rolled hems using the Bernina rolled hem foot, #69, which is for newer 5.5mm machines. Why didn't I know about this foot before?! It actually came with my sewing machine but I never bothered to figure out how to use it until last week. I watched this cool tutorial on rolled hems and only had to unpick the beginning of my first seam. It was so much easier than folding it over twice, ironing it, and finishing the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them!